Sunday, January 26, 2014

Live Simply, Teach Simply: Containers


I'm back for week two of my new blog series-Live Simply, Teach Simply. If you missed the first post and want to know the inspiration behind the series click on the picture above. This week I'm sharing my favorite classroom container ever. That's really saying something because like most teachers I'm a little *obsessed* with storage containers!


You can find this little gem at The Dollar Tree in a pack of 10. Yep, that's right only 10 cents each!!!! They also come in a round variety. I'm not sure if all Dollar Trees are set up similar, but I found them between the storage containers and cooking utensils. I use these little guys all over my classroom, so here are a few of my favorite uses.


They are PERFECT for storing Words Their Way word cards. I started off using ziploc bags, but those were just a pain, hard to find in the desks, and didn't hold up well. I gave each kid one of these to store their words and keep in their desks and word study has been much happier. They work so well that the rest of my grade level went out and splurged the $3 for a class set. 


They are also perfect to store center manipulatives and dice. I love using seasonal table scatter, gems, or erasers to keep my kiddos excited. I place the manipulatives for both players and a die  in the container. It makes for quicker clean up because they can put the top on easier than closing a ziploc. Also, you avoid the inevitable of the pieces falling out of the bags. I especially like to use these with my Roll & Read and Roll Tac Toe games. Easy center management makes for a happy teacher!


You could also use them to roll dice so they are not flying around the classroom. This isn't really a pet peeve of mine, but if you have crazy dice rollers this might help.


On a personal note I use them for my lunches. They are great for salad dressing or nuts. This was probably more like their intended usage! These are the previous versions from years ago. They were a little bigger, sturdier and colorful. You might be able to still find them somewhere.

These little containers have definitely made my classroom life a little more simple. So run to your local Dollar Tree and stock up on some because the possibilities are endless. I've seen similar containers at other stores, but you can't beat the price of 10 for $1. If you have these what do you use them for? Did this spark ideas for new uses? Please leave a comment and share-I'd love to put them to good use in other ways!

And now for the Live Simply inspiration...

No comments:

Post a Comment