Sunday, March 23, 2014

Five for Friday...What a Week!!!

I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday. I realize it is Sunday, but on Friday I was at the Virginia State Reading Association conference accepting my Virginia Reading Teacher of the Year award. So, I feel like that is a legitimate excuse to be a few days late!



At the VSRA conference banquet on Friday night I got to accept my Ofie T. Rubin Reading Teacher of the Year award.  Virginia is filled with such outstanding reading teachers, so I feel quite honored to be chosen as the 2014 Reading Teacher of the Year. I received a $500 award which I plan to use to promote digital literacy at my school. Follow my adventures for upcoming details about that project.


One of the highlights of the VSRA conference was when Stephanie Harvey tweeted a picture of her and I! Not retweeted, but grabbed her phone and got a picture of us to tweet! Wow!

The VSRA conference was simply amazing. I learned so much from literacy gurus such as Stephanie Harvey, Tanny McGregor, Donalyn Miller, Jan Richardson and many others. I feel like I need a week off to process and plan what to do with all of the new information and ideas. 


As if that wasn't enough excitement for the week, my brother got married on Saturday and I was a bridesmaid! Luckily he and his wife were very understanding and let me miss the rehearsal and dinner as long as I made it back in time for the wedding. Saturday morning I woke up early and drove across the state to make it to the afternoon wedding. Can you say busy weekend?!? The wedding was lovely and I'm so happy for my little brother!



My first graders have been working with my husband's Advanced Drawing class for a few months to create a cardboard reading chair for our classroom.  The dinosaur chair finally arrived on Wednesday! My class was SO EXCITED and I know it will get a lot of use the last few months of school!



Spring is finally here! Yeah! The calendar and the flowers in my yard say so, but there is a chance of snow on Tuesday. I am so ready for warm spring weather!

That about sums up my week.  I'll be blogging more about my award and the VSRA conference, so be sure to follow me and my adventures in literacy! Head over to Doodle Bugs Teaching to see what everyone else has been up to this week.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a new follower! Your blog is super cute! Congrats on the award- what an accomplishment! Check out my blog at www.cupcakesandlessonplans2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I was there at the VSRA and saw you take that picture with Stephanie Harvey! Oh my goodness!! It was my first time going and will not be my last!

    Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars

    ReplyDelete