Saturday, October 18, 2014

Five for Friday

I'm linking up late for Five for Friday. Even with the best of intentions it just didn't get done yesterday!



I started the week off with a weekend trip to Hatteras. If you've never been to the Outer Banks, NC in fall I highly recommend it. We had beautiful beach weather without the summer crowds. Everyone knows a teacher's brain never really shuts off, so while I was there I figured out how to organize my math workshop. I had not planned on doing school work on the beach, so all I had to write on was a magazine. Yes, this is how my crazy brain thinks!


The random beach brainstorming seemed to work because I FINALLY started math workshop this week! YAY! I've been wanting to do this for a long time, but never quite pulled it together. I'm still working out kinks, but my kids and I loved it! We've been doing Reader's Workshop all year, so the transition to math was an easy one! I still have a lot to figure out, but I am excited for this new classroom adventure.



We've been learning about animal characteristics this week. Ever since I used my cat's face in the Storybots app Math Racer, my class has been obsessed with my cat. I decided to make her the subject of a graphic organizer on animal characteristics. Her picture projected on the board took the engagement level of this lesson through the roof! The next day they completed the same graphic organizer on their pet or another animal. I totally forgot to snap pics of their work, but I was so pleased with how they turned out! You can snag this graphic organizer here (minus the SOL in case you don't teach in Virginia) for free. 



We made these adorable pattern snakes. Ok, technically we made them a few weeks ago, but I finally took them down from the hall and took a picture. They are made from a large spiral diecut and small pattern block diecuts. The snakes were super easy and my kids loved making them!



Did you all hear my screams on Wednesday night? I literally shrieked with excitement when I found out I won a Happy Jackson teacher kit from The Starr Spangled Planner. Jillian was celebrating 1000 facebook fans with a  giveaway and I won! This stuff is so cute and it matches my humor. I can't wait for it to come because I know it will add some smiles and laughter to all of those dreaded meetings! 


3 comments:

  1. I just nominated you for a Liebster Award for new bloggers! Check out my post here to accept your nomination:
    Liebster Nomination

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Congratulations on your Liebster! I want to start Math Workshop at some point, too, so congrats. on getting that going! I would love to go to the Outer Banks - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh! I was about to nominate you for a Liebster, but am seeing that you were nominated yesterday :) Oh, who cares! You are officially double nominated! Congrats :) You can check out your nomination here: http://www.starrspangledplanner.com/2014/10/liebster-award.html
    Happy Blogging!
    Jillian Starr
    The Starr Spangled Planner

    ReplyDelete