Friday, October 24, 2014

Five for Friday

I'm linking up with Five for Friday and it is actually Friday!!!

 

We've been working on visualizing. One of my favorite books to use is "Go Away Big Green Monster". This book is so engaging for getting students to listen carefully to the text and create a corresponding picture in their heads. I read the text first without showing the students the pictures and just had them listen and create pictures in their heads. Next I played the YouTube video of the book (audio only) over and over while they drew their pictures of the monster. (Disclaimer-at one point in the video the text says month instead of mouth. My kids were so excited they didn't really notice and I didn't point it out!)



Finally I read the book with pictures and let them watch the video. They had so much fun and I love their monsters! Such an easy, fun activity for visualizing (especially near Halloween!)


While we're on the subject of YouTube here is a Doubles Song that we have been loving this week. My kids beg me to play this one! I really like how it goes all the way up to 10+10 and has an annoying stuck-in-your-head-all-day tune ("uh uh, oh yeah!").


Wednesday I was at a VDOE SOL English Institute Conference. I felt like a read adult...a whole hour for lunch without having to run around and make copies and phone calls! Besides the relaxed lunch, there were some great ideas and inspiration, especially on using literacy across the content areas. I feel so strongly about this since there never seems to be enough time in the day! I can't wait to get a jump on some of the ideas and activities.

The hubby and I have escaped for a long weekend in Charlottesville. Today we picked apples which has been a yearly tradition since we've been married. I was super excited that Pink Ladies were available for picking already. Mmmmmmmm. Can't wait for the homemade apple pies in our future! Tomorrow's agenda is hiking in Shenandoah National Park.




Tomorrow I'm joining a group of blogging buddies to bring you some fall favorites. Check back on my blog Saturday-Tuesday for some fall tips, freebies, giveaways and fun! I'll be blogging about my home challenge projects and you can snag a fall home challenge project freebie as well as a chance to win $10 of products from my TpT store. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen,
    Your monsters are precious! I am your newest follower. Looks like you had a busy week! Enjoy your weekend.
    Vicky
    Teaching and Much Moore

    ReplyDelete