Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Winter Wonders Blog Hop and Celebration

Welcome! One year ago today, a group of teacher-bloggers launched the website Adventures in Literacy Land to share tips and tools for effective literacy instruction. I'm excited to be added as one of Adventures in Literacy Land's newest royal contributors!
In honor of a successful year of blogging and adding some new royal bloggers we are hosting a Winter Wonders Blog Hop and Birthday Celebration. Hop along to read a short post by each author, download a free literacy resource, and enter a raffle for a chance to win one of 4 $25 Barnes and Nobles gift certificates.
At this point in the school year my first graders have become pretty solid with their high frequency words so I start shifting the focus to high frequency phrases. Using phrases lets them still practice their high frequency words but also adds some fluency practice.It really takes high frequency words to the next level. I'm keeping this post short so you can hop around and visit some other Literacy Land friends, so here are a few benefits of using high frequency phrases in your classroom:
To help celebrate Literacy Land's Blogiversary I've made a Winter Phrase game freebie. The game is played like Bang/Oh, no!. Students pick a card and read the phrase, focusing on reading it correctly and fluently. If they get the melted snowman card they have to put all of their cards back. I like to put the cards in a winter bag or bucket to add novelty to the game. 



This game uses high frequency phrases including the first 100 Fry words. You can download your free copy by clicking on the picture below.

Thanks for visiting today! If you're interested in reading more from my blog, you can follow it through bloglovin by clicking on the button below. 


Head to the next royal stop, Growing Little Learners, for some more winter literacy fun. Don't forget to make your way back to Literacy Land for the Barnes and Noble gift card giveaway!


15 comments:

  1. LOVE your blog design! So cute! Welcome to our group!
    Jessica
    Hanging Out in First!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These HF word phrases have really helped my students build fluency and automaticity. Thanks for putting them into a fun game format. :)
    Deb
    Not very fancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. How have I never thought of teaching the high frequency words in phrases so they are in context like this?! This is a great idea - thank you!
    Growing Little Learners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad you got a new idea :)
      Jen

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the cute freebie! I am so excited to have discovered your blog..I'm your newest follower!
    Julie
    The Techie Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'm your newest follower too...I always up for new Tech ideas!
      Jen

      Delete
  5. What an adorable freebie! Welcome to the Adventures in Lit Land group! It's great to have you. :)
    Read With Me ABC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so excited to join in the fun!
      Jen

      Delete
  6. Your blog looks fantastic! It's such a small world. It took me a moment to realize that you weren't teaching at PES anymore since I had only really seen you in passing. Congratulations on your many accomplishments. It looks like you're really enjoying being back in the classroom. We seem to share a love for cats, travel, blogging, and I've even recently discovered that we have a shared hairdresser! Hope to cross paths at a meet-up soon!

    Rachel
    Mrs O Knows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, small world indeed! I'm still at PPS, just in first grade. We will probably cross paths at our upcoming PD day. We'll have to try to sit at the same table and chat about our shared interests!
      Jen

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing your great ideas! I appreciate it!
    Bex
    Reading and Writing Redhead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks for sending the blog hoppers my way!
      Jen

      Delete